Covid-19

No new COVID-19 cases in five days

May 19, 2020

The Ministry of Health reported no new COVID-19 cases yesterday.

This marks the fifth consecutive day without any additional cases.

The total of confirmed stands at 96 with a majority of the cases — 74 — reported on New Providence.

Bimini, which went into a two-week lockdown yesterday, has the second highest number of cases with 13.

The ministry said one more person has recovered from the virus.

So far, there have been 43 recoveries.

More than 1,800 people have been tested for COVID-19 in The Bahamas, according to health officials.

read more »

Some trust PM to make right call, others anxious for business to resume

May 19, 2020

Tavala Ferguson, a 36-year-old Eleuthera resident, yesterday questioned why normal commercial activity is not allowed to resume on her home island.

The prime minister ordered the closure of non-essential businesses as of March 20, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but has since allowed some islands to go back to normal commercial activity.

But Eleuthera is not one of those islands.

“It’s a bit unfair,” said Ferguson, who is a resident of Wemyss Bight.

“It’s definitely impacting the economy because a lot of jobs are being displaced. Because the island is not exempted to open, it has a lot of people at home.”

Peggy Underwood, 55, who lives in Spanish Wells, said the settlement has been adhering to the government’s curfew and weekend lockdown protocols “more than any island in the whole Bahamas”.

“They’re just not opening us up,” she told The Nassau Guardian.

“We want to know why. Why aren’t we opened up?”

read more »

Three Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update 64
Three Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update #64

May 06, 2020

The Ministry of Heath confirms today that there is three (3) additional confirmed case of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases of ninety-two (92). There have been seven (8) confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama, seventy-two (72) confirmed cases in New Providence, one (1) confirmed case in Cat Cay, and eleven (11) confirmed case on the island of Bimini.

read more »

Prime Minister Minnis Accepts Resignation of Dr Sands

May 04, 2020

BREAKING NEWS - Statement from The Office of The Prime Minister

I have accepted the resignation of Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands effective tomorrow, May 5th 2020. I thank him for his service to The Bahamas including during COVID-19 pandemic.

I will make a further statement on this matter tomorrow, including on who will server as Minister of Health.

read more »

One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update 52
One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update #52

April 24, 2020

The Ministry of Heath confirms today that there is one (1) additional confirmed case of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases of seventy-three (73). There have been seven (7) confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Grand Bahamas, sixty-two (62) confirmed cases in New Providence, one (1) confirmed case in Cat Cay, and one (3) confirmed case on the island of Bimini.

read more »

PMH takes a major hit
PMH takes a major hit

April 24, 2020

Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands revealed yesterday that more than 200 health care workers are in quarantine after possible exposure to COVID-19, including 96 doctors and 62 nurses from Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH).

During a virtual press conference, Sands also said that of the 72 confirmed cases of the virus, 15 are health workers.

read more »

Two more COVID-19 deaths
Two more COVID-19 deaths

April 24, 2020

Two more people have died from COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths from the disease in The Bahamas to 11, Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands said yesterday.

He said the latest victims were two men, a 53-year-old and a 51-year-old, who are both from New Providence.

“We give our heartfelt condolences to the families of the two men who lost their lives and our prayers are with you in this very difficult time,” he said.

He also announced two new cases of COVID-19 – a 50-year-old woman on New Providence and a 29-year-old woman on New Providence. He said both women are in home isolation.

read more »

Dorian survivor in the midst of another menacing storm

April 24, 2020

Only months after surviving Hurricane Dorian, Stacy Miller, 41, has found herself in the midst of yet another storm — the economic fallout of COVID-19.

Miller, who spent her entire life on Grand Cay, said she and her two sons — Dejon, 18, and Joshua, 12 — had been living in a shelter on New Providence in the weeks after Dorian until she found work as a housekeeper.

As she broke down crying, she said she spent Dejon’s birthday in bed yesterday, because she couldn’t even face him.

“He just turned 18 today…” she said between sobs.

read more »

Telemedicine up since COVID-19, notes Bahamas Wellness Health Systems founder

April 24, 2020

Dr. Arlington Lightbourne used to get four or so calls a week from someone asking him to diagnose what’s wrong over the phone.

Today, he and his teams in Central Eleuthera, Spanish Wells and Nassau are averaging that in a half day.

read more »

Five Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update 50
Five Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update #50

April 22, 2020

The Ministry of Heath confirms today that there is five (5) additional confirmed case of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases of seventy (70). There have been seven (7) confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Grand Bahamas, forty-six (61) confirmed cases in New Providence, one (1) confirmed case in Cat Cay, and one (1) confirmed case on the island of Bimini.

read more »

One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case
One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case

April 21, 2020

The Ministry of Health confirms today there is one (1)additional confirmed case of COVID-19...

read more »

Four new cases of COVID-19

April 21, 2020

The Ministry of Health announced four new cases of COVID-19 yesterday.

Three of the patients — ages 51, 52, and 66 — are hospitalized.

The remaining patient, a 56-year-old, is quarantined at home.

All the patients are men, who live on New Providence, with no recent history of travel, according to the ministry.

read more »

Ash fined 7,000 after curfew breach
Ash fined $7,000 after curfew breach

April 21, 2020

A businessman, who accused two Cabinet ministers in the former Progressive Liberal Party administration of corruption, was on Monday fined $7,000 for breaching a curfew imposed to curb the spread of the coronavirus, and operating a non-essential business.

read more »

Pandemic making a bad situation worse for Dorian victims
Pandemic making a bad situation worse for Dorian victims

April 21, 2020

Nearly eight months after she lost her home in Hurricane Dorian, Beverly Sawyer, 55, said she feels totally unprepared for the upcoming hurricane season.

Sawyer said COVID-19 is complicating the recovery process.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do because so much work has not been done over these last four weeks because of these lockdowns. We’re going to be in a bad state if we get a hurricane,” she said.

read more »

Proper use of digital platforms would prevent long food lines

April 21, 2020

I congratulate the government on taking the step of moving payment of NIB benefits to digital wallets. This is a step in the right direction to diminishing, if not terminating, long lines at NIB, social services, food stores, and other service places.

Unfortunately, as I write, the morning after the PM’s speech, I see, on social media, long lines on Tonique Williams-Darling Highway. It is said that the line represents people waiting for vouchers at the “union building”.

read more »

Four newly confirmed cases of COVID-19
Four newly confirmed cases of COVID-19

April 20, 2020

The Ministry of Health announced on Monday that there are four additional confirmed cases of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 64.

#The newly confirmed cases are as follows:

#• Case #61 is a 56-year-old man of New Providence with no history of travel. This case is in isolation at home.

#• Case #62 is a 66-year-old man of New Providence with no history of travel. This case is hospitalised.

#• Case #63 is a 52-year-old man of New Providence with no history of travel. This case is also hospitalised.

#• Case #64 is 51-year-old male of New Providence with no history of travel. This case is hospitalised as well.

read more »

One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update 42
One Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Case Update #42

April 17, 2020

The Ministry of Heath confirms today that there is one (1) additional confirmed case of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases of fifty-five (55). There have been seven (7) confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Grand Bahamas, forty-six (46) confirmed cases in New Providence, one (1) confirmed case in Cat Cay, and one (1) confirmed case on the island of Bimini.

read more »

Four Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Cases-UPDATE40
Four Additional Confirmed COVID-19 Cases-UPDATE#40

April 15, 2020

The Ministry of Health confirms today that there are four (4) additional confirmed cases of COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to fifty-three (53)...

read more »

Two additional confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing The Bahamas' total to 49
Two additional confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing The Bahamas' total to 49

April 13, 2020

The Ministry of Health confirms today that there are two (2) additional confirmed cases of COVID-19...This brings the total number of confirmed cases to forty-nine (49)...

read more »

One additioanl Confirmed COVID-19 Case UPDATE#37

April 13, 2020

The Ministry of Health confirms today that there is one (1) additional confirmed case of COVID19. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to forty-seven (47)...

read more »