February 05, 2013
The government has managed cut down the final projected cost of the controversial New Providence Road Improvement Project (NPRIP), which officials previously revealed went significantly over budget, Deputy Prime Minister Philip Brave Davis said yesterday.
However, Davis could not give the exact figure as he said the final calculation is still being tabulated.
He said he will be able to reveal the amount at a later date.
The project, which has been ongoing since 2009, was due to be completed by January 31, but Davis said there is some minor work still left to be carried out.
"We hope that everything will be completed by Wednesday, but if not then we're hoping for the end of the week," said Davis, who is also minister of public works and urban development.
He said a few roads are still being worked on.
For instance, he said the contractors are bringing the manholes on level with the paved roads.
Davis noted that the unleveled roads have been a source of frustration for motorists.
"But that process should be completed soon," he said.
Once all of the roads are turned over to the government, Davis said the review process will begin.
He added that any faults will be corrected by the contractor, Jose Cartellone Construcciones Civiles (JCCC).
Davis said JCCC will be financially responsible for correcting all elements that are found lacking over the next year.
The road project went nearly $100 million over its original budget in 2008, officials have said.
The Ingraham administration signed a $119.9 million contract with the Argentinean firm to carry out the work. However, over the last four years, the price tag ballooned to $206 million.
Davis said the contractor was able to save money on several aspects of the project.
Click here to read more at The Nassau Guardian
News date : 02/05/2013 Category : Nassau Guardian Stories