Bodies of three suspected Haitian immigrants wash ashore

Share |

March 05, 2012

The bodies of three men, believed to be a part of a group of Haitian nationals whose vessel ran aground last week, were discovered over the weekend near an Eleuthera shoreline.
Assistant Superintendent Elburt Ferguson, officer in charge of Central Bahamas, told The Nassau Guardian yesterday that the bodies washed ashore on the north side of Governor's Harbour between Friday and Saturday.
"We found two bodies on [Friday] and we also found a dismembered body on [Saturday]," he said, adding that a portion of the man's torso and leg were missing.
"We suspect that it probably would be from a shark, maybe a shark attack, but we can't say that for certain. That's why we are waiting for an autopsy," Ferguson said.
The bodies found on Friday have already been transported to New Providence for an autopsy. Ferguson said the other body will be transported when arrangements can be made.
Ferguson said attempts are also being made to determine the identities of the victims.
On Wednesday night a sloop ran aground at Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera, Wednesday evening. Police picked up 14 of its occupants.
Eddie Ferguson, chief immigration officer, told The Nassau Guardian that between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. residents of the area noticed a group of suspected Haitian immigrants walking near a beach. At that time, Ferguson said authorities apprehended 12 men and two women, who were taken to Governor's Harbour Police Station for processing.
It was unclear where the illegal immigrants traveled from, although Ferguson said based on preliminary reports it's suspected they came from Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Meantime, Assistant Superintendent Ferguson said yesterday that authorities apprehended an additional 13 persons since Wednesday.
In total, 25 Haitians have been captured.
Ferguson said the immigrants were transported to Nassau last week for further processing and will be repatriated soon.
He added that authorities will continue to search for any additional migrants who may have gotten away.

Click here to read more at The Nassau Guardian

News date : 03/05/2012    Category : Nassau Guardian Stories

Share |