September 20, 2021
PRIME Minister Philip Davis said a decision was made to extend the nightly curfew to 11.59pm because there was "no rhyme or reason" for the restriction previously being set at 9pm under the former Minnis administration.
He said with the appointment of a new Health Minister today and further discussions with health advisors, a decision will be made on either keeping curfews or eliminating them altogether.
The news comes as six more COVID-19 deaths were confirmed in data released over the weekend.
Mr Davis amended the Emergency Powers Order on Friday to change the curfew time.
Effective on Friday, the new curfew was changed to be between 11.59pm and 5am, Monday-Sunday on Andros, Abaco, Bimini, Cat Island, Eleuthera, Grand Bahama, Exuma and New Providence.
Former Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis had first amended the curfew to 11.59pm for Election Day to accommodate officials working with ballots. His intention was to revert to the 9pm curfew the next day, according to the previous order.
However, the Progressive Liberal Party ended up sweeping the Free National Movement out of office.
When he spoke on the issue on Saturday, Mr Davis said his new administration was in the process of getting the nuts and bolts together regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
“That decision was made in the context of it having been 11.59 the night before and there seemed to be no rhyme nor reason for keeping it at 9 and so that decision was made,” he told reporters. “Fortunately, I had a conversation and have met already with Dr (Merceline) Dahl-Regis who’s been leading the charge and the fight, the front lines of this pandemic.
Click here to read more at The Tribune