September 10, 2021
MORE than 100 pregnant women have been admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital with COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, a top doctor revealed Friday.
Dr Richard Braham, head of PMH’s obstetrics and gynecology department, said 10 of those women have died due to COVID-19 complications, the majority of which occurred in this third wave.
He also warned that there will be more maternal deaths if people do not adhere to the current health protocols.
“Since the pandemic has started, we have experienced a total of ten maternal deaths,” he said. “This is actually quite unprecedented in our entire time in the obstetrics and gynecology arena. We’ve had over 130 persons cared for with COVID-19. However, since this third wave, we have had 74 admissions.”
“So more than half of that, 130 patients, have been admitted ill in the third wave. We have had over three maternal deaths over the past six weeks again. This is a stark reality, ladies and gentlemen. For years, our department and patient load has completely grown the structure that we’re in.”
Dr Braham added: “COVID-19 has brought home the stark reality to all of us that we’ve outgrown where we practice and tried to deliver quality healthcare to women’s health here in The Bahamas and surrounding nations.”
“As I’ve mentioned before, we have seen where we have had many a still birth, many a premature delivery in order to try and help save the mother and try help our colleagues in anesthesiologist and medicine critical care to help us treat these patients.”
“We are hampered by space. We are hampered by staffing. We are hampered by fatigue and mental breakdown.”
Earlier this week, Pan American Health Organisation’s director Dr Carissa Etienne recommended all pregnant women take COVID-19 vaccinations after their first trimester.
Click here to read more at The Tribune