Cause of tourist diving deaths yet to be determined

Share |

April 22, 2010

Police have yet to determine what caused the death of two tourists killed in recent diving expeditions.

In the case of the American tourist who died while diving with Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas last month, police liaison officer Sergeant Chrislyn Skippings confirmed that the matter is going to the Coroner's Court for an inquest.

The 55-year-old California man was found floating near the dive spot in a black and blue dive suit with his breathing apparatus attached.

Police received reports that when the group he had been diving with surfaced, they realised someone was missing. The body was located after a search of the immediate area.

Sources at the dive company said the incident had no impact on the business, and noted that all divers who participate with the company are certified.

"A person is responsible for their own certification level. If they have not been diving for three years, we give them a refresher. If they are licensed, they are not required to disclose any health conditions; they are only required to prove they have a licence," said the employee.

Over the weekend, Illinois native David Gozinsky died during a diving trip with International Field Studies, an American environmental education initiative headquartered in Andros.

Mr Gozinsky was taken to a clinic in Blanket Sound, Andros, where he was pronounced dead by the presiding doctor.

He was visiting the island with his wife, who accompanied the body to New Providence where an autopsy will be conducted.

The company's executive director Dr Ben Bohl was not available for comment Tuesday.

Click here to read more in The Tribune

News date : 04/22/2010    Category : Tribune Stories

Share |

 

Ads